The ONE Green Cleaning Product You Shouldn't Live Without
We're big on keeping things as neat as possible in our homes always (it just feels better to walk into a tidy house) but admittedly, we wish there was a class in college on how the hell to clean your own apartment. Like, who knew you needed to clean your shower liner so often?? We talked with Sarah Benken, Founder of Metro's Other Woman, to talk green cleaning tips JUST in time for the holiday. Cause there's a BIG difference between clean enough for me, and clean enough for visiting mothers.
Sarah, if you could choose only ONE cleaning item to keep in your house, what would it be?
Sarah: Green cleaning is all the rage and doesn’t seem to be going out of style anytime soon. As personal assistants and cleaners we’ve tested so many of the green options out there and have come to find that you really only need a few ingredients to keep it green around your house. The main staple we recommend is white distilled vinegar. Vinegar can be used in countless ways.
AMAZING - Give us tips!!
Sarah: Here's ten of my favorite uses:
1. SHOWER CLEANER. BRING VINEGAR TO A BOIL AND USE TO WIPE DOWN SHOWER DOOR AND WALLS.
2. FRESHEN UP THE FRIDGE WITH HALF VINEGAR HALF WATER SOLUTION.
3. ELIMINATE ODORS. FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU'RE COOKING FISH, PLACE A SMALL BOWL OF VINEGAR NEAR YOUR STOVE TO ABSORB THE ODOR.
4. KILL BATHROOM GERMS, SPRAY VINEGAR AROUND THE SINK AND TUB AND WIPE WITH DAMP CLOTH.
5. GET RID OF SWEAT STAINS. RUB STAIN GENTLY WITH VINEGAR AND WIPE WITH A CLEAN CLOTH
6. CARPET STAINS. MAKE A PASTE WITH 2 TABLESPOONS OF VINEGAR AND 1/4 CUP OF SALT OR BAKING SODA. RUB INTO STAIR AND LET DRY. VACUUM THE RESIDUE THE NEXT DAY.
7. STOP STATIC CLING. ADD 1/2 CUP OF WHITE VINEGAR TO YOUR WASH CYCLE.
8. CLEAN THE MICROWAVE. FILL A SMALL BOWL WITH EQUAL PARTS VINEGAR/HOT WATER AND MICROWAVE ON HIGH FOR 5MINS. WIPE DOWN.
9. REMOVE GUM FROM FABRIC OR HAIR. HEAT A SMALL BOWL OF VINEGAR IN THE MICROWAVE, POUR OVER GUM & IT WILL DISSOLVE.
10. REMOVE WAX FROM WOOD FURNITURE OR FLOORS. GENTLY WIPE IT AWAY WITH A CLOTH SOAKED IN WATER/VINEGAR SOLUTION.
YASSS --- all these solutions with just one INEXPENSIVE item? Excuse us, we'll be cleaning all day :) Thank you, Sarah!
SOCIAL CHANNELS / WEBSITE: